College Station, TX

Monday, September 19, 2011

House Projects

Since moving to Virginia, I have tried to find ways to keep myself busy while looking for a job! Luckily, I am in love with DIY, being creative, and finding ways to repurpose old items. I have recently become slightly (ok, maybe a little more than slightly) obsessed with this website and have found all sorts of great ideas and tips!

One thing I've been working on is refinishing an old mirror. An old, very heavy mirror with the backing NAILED to it. Not something you see anymore! My idea is to use it in our half bathroom downstairs, and replace the boring old stock mirror. I don't have a picture of it before I started, but it had white/light green paint all over it. I had to use paint stripper and a sander to take all the paint off before staining it. Here's what it looks like after staining: 
I just finished putting the mirror back in, and nailing it all back together, so I'll post a picture of that once it's all done!

My next project is to strip and re-stain this beauty I scored at a consignment store for $29! 

I was in great need of a nightstand, but didn't want to pay over $100 for one that isn't even real wood! This thing is solid and heavy, and I think once it is stained the same color as the rest of the set, it will look awesome! Especially for $29 :)

Last weekend, we had planned to have Nick's class and their wives over for dinner so that I could meet everyone. We were in the middle of painting several walls, so we had at least 4-5 different sample colors all over the walls. I wanted to have the house all nice and together looking before everyone came over, so I had planned to finally make a decision and get the walls painted. Nick went rafting in West Virginia for a bachelor party this same weekend, and everyone was coming over at 6 pm on Sunday night, so I had 2 days to get the kitchen and the wall in the living room painted! (This was also the weekend before taking my NCLEX- so another reason I didn't study much!)

Luckily, I have met some great people here already, and one of them (Bo, the precious dog I rescued in Corpus's new momma!) came over and helped me paint!! She and her husband (who is also in the Navy) live one block over and they recently bought a house too. They have been doing lots of painting/renovating so we decided it would be way more fun to have painting parties and help each other out. She was a huge help! Thanks, Stephanie!!!
Here's a few pictures of the painted walls! Sorry some of them are so dark.

Nick's wedding gift to me. I think it's a perfect place for it because it's so visible!

Found the white shelves at Goodwill for $2 each 
The gray matches my yellow mixer so well!!!

We just hung some curtains (got them on clearance at Target.. with gift cards!)  yesterday! They still need hemming, but they look AWESOME!
More to come soon!
--The Choffels


No comments:

Post a Comment